Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Open Letter to Dr. Phil

Dear Dr. Phil,

You asked yesterday on your show "What the hell is that"? in reference to being a Wiccan Priestess. I can not answer for everyone but I can answer for myself.

I am studying to some day become a Wiccan Priestess. It takes years of work and dedicated study.

 In case you are unaware,  Wiccan and other Neopagan groups have been recognized by governments in the US and Canada and given tax exempt status. Wiccan priests and priestesses have been given access to penitentiaries in both countries, and the privilege of performing marriages.

 On March 15, 2001, the list of religious preferences in the U.S. Air Force Personnel Data System was augmented to include: Dianic Wicca, Druidism, Gardnerian Wicca, Pagan, Seax Wicca, Shamanism, and Wicca. This information was published in 2001, in an essay called "The Pagan and the Pentagon," printed by the Wiccan Pagan Times.

For further clarification, check out the following court cases that explain how Wicca is a religion. Dettmer vs. Landon, United States v. Seeger, and my favorite, United States v. Phillips. The judge in U.S. v Phillips stated   "Wicca is a socially and legally recognized religion and it will be  acknowledged as such by the U.S. Army.

Again, I can not speak for everyone who is or who will be a Wiccan Priestess, but I can and will speak out for myself and the amazing women, I know who practice Wicca. I am a Mother of three great kids, I vote, pay taxes, I am a Police Officer, who upholds the law and is honored to serve the citizens of my city. And yes, I practice my religion, one that is protected by law.

 I found your comment insulting. This was made to sensationalize an already sad and tragic story. Wicca did not kill this woman, her husband did. If the mistress of this man had been any other religion, it would never have been mentioned. And if it had, I am sure you know there would be an outcry and some backlash.

If you are still unsure about exactly what the hell Wicca is, I invite you to read about it. There are thousands of books on the subject or ask someone who practices Wicca. Most of us are very happy to help answer questions, so the stereotype version of what we are can be set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment